Thursday, January 8, 2009

Inspiration Unfolds

One cold wintery morning in January of 2007, I was sipping some coffee and flipping through the Times when smack on the cover of the Fashion & Style section was this image:





Photobucket



I know, I know, this collection is pretty stale and I should be blogging about how Shepard Fairey is quickly becoming a design force to be commercially reckoned with. However, this Galliano collection is constantly in my thoughts as I look at innovations in design that explore folds and creases to create structure, volume and texture. There is something inherently crafty about these pieces that speak to me as a designer and an artist that is always challenging my resourcefulness when asked to essentially make something out of nothing.




Photobucket







Photobucket







Photobucket




Photobucket


In a way, these pieces almost look like mathematical equations realized. They are beuatifully formulaic. I love their meticulous rhythms and clever exploitations of light and shadow. The reason why I always turn to the Galliano collection is that he did not stop his vision with the creation of a beautiful form. There is an additional layer that defines an identity.



Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket



It is such an inspiring collection for me. In architecture, I constantly struggle with how to treat interesting forms and spaces. I find architects love to make everything white to allow the form to be the interest. As a designer, I struggle with when to embellish and when to let the form read true and pure. Galliano took beautiful forms and successfully kept on going. While each piece would still look lovely in all white, I fear they would lose distinction and become ‘mathematical and formulaic.’ What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJDKUtJWgAU




No comments: